Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Long and Short.

As we approach the shortest day of the year in this hemisphere I can't help but feel that that day seems like the longest.

Here in the of North of England, we're presently enjoying a whopping eight hours of daylight a day, although it should be referred to as daygloom.

You see, it's never really that light during this time of year, except on the rare days when the sky decides to take its clothes off and show us some bare blue.

No, it's mostly threatening darkness in the eight hours we're supposed to have light.  

And that's why these short days seem so  long.  That darkness is telling us we should be in bed.  We just weren't designed to live our lives by clocks and shift patterns.

But if I feel like this now, how do the dwellers of the Arctic Circle feel? 

2 comments:

Tabor said...

I always have to fight the gloom and doom this time of year. I squirrel away in to my corner (used to be my office when I worked) and focus on all those things I can now organize because I am not distracted.

dan said...

Yeah, I think it's a common feeling. Still, we can look at pictures of the summer so we have something to look forward to.